Saturday, February 16, 2013

Toddler Storytime - Love

Presented at Bellevue Public Library on Thursday, February 14, 2013.

Books:

Won't You Be My Kissaroo? by Joanne Ryder, illustrated by Melissa Sweet




* Te Amo, Bebe, Little One by Lisa Wheeler, illustrated by Maribel Suarez







Be Mine, Be Mine, Sweet Valentine by Sarah Weeks, illustrated by Fumi Kosaka




Songs:

Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-dink
Skinnamarink-a-do, I love you!

Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-dink
Skinnamarink-a-do, I love you!

I love you in the morning and in the afternoon.
I love you in the evening and underneath the moon, oh

Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-dink
Skinnamarink-a-do, I love you!



Storytime Has Ended
(tune: "Did You Ever See a Lassie?")

Storytime has ended, has ended, has ended.
Storytime has ended 'til we meet again.

(Children wave to each other as we continue)
'Til we meet, 'til we meet, 'til we meet, 'til we meet.
Storytime has ended 'til we meet again.


Activities:

Our Hands Say Hello!
Our hands say hello with a clap, clap, clap.
Our feet say hello with a tap, tap, tap.

Clap, clap, clap,
Tap, tap, tap.
Turn around and take a bow.
Sit right down. It's Storytime now!



Ten Little Fingers
I have ten little fingers (show 10 fingers)
And they all belong to me. (place hands on chest to indicate ownership)
I can make them do things. (let fingers dance in front of you)
Would you like to see?

I can put them up high, (reach up high)
I can put them down low. (bend down low)
I can make them hide, (hide hands behind back, in pockets, etc.)
And I can fold them so. (fold hands in front of you)

(Once you know this rhyme, try saying it again - a little faster...and even faster! How fast can you go??!)



Each Toddler Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

* Enrichment
I spoke with the adults today about the way I use the book "Te Amo, Bebe, Little One" by Lisa Wheeler.  I love this book for the ways you can involve children while you read it.  There is a stanza that is repeated throughout the book, with slight variations to the line "I love you more than rain and sun".  To make it easier for children to remember the rhyme and to take part in saying it, I take the liberty of using the same version each time we say it.  The stanza is:

"I love you once, (hold up one finger)
I love you twice, (hold up 2 fingers)
I love you more than beans and rice! (rub tummy)
I love you more than rain and sun,
(bring fingers down to simulate rain, then put arms above your head to make the sun)
Te amo, bebe, little one. (hug yourself or your youngster)


Every Child Ready to Read® advocates spending time enjoying books in this way.  Allowing your child to move along with the text, and to help supply the text, is very beneficial to their brain development...and it's just plain FUN, too!

Library News:
Seussathon 2013 is just a couple weeks away!  Miss Tammy and I have been busy getting ready for this daylong, drop-in event for the whole family.  For more information about this annual event, see my "Seussathon: Nine Years and counting" entry.
We registered a new friend, Sophia, at Storytime today! We hope you had fun and will be a regular participant at Toddler Storytime!
Our next Toddler Storytime will be on Thursday, February 21, 2013!

Next week's theme: Trucks and Truck Drivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment