Monday, September 16, 2013

Welcome Back to Toddler Storytime!

Monday, September 16, 2013.

After a nice hiatus in which Tammy and I were able to relax, regroup, and reorganize, it is now time to resume weekly storytimes at the library!
I know Tammy has some wonderful, and NEW, things in store for the Preschoolers, while I will be shaking things up a bit with the Toddlers, who will meet on Wednesdays at 9:15 AM.  I am hoping the switch from Tuesday to Wednesday morning will mean more toddlers and their parents/caregivers can join us for Storytime!

So...what's new?!

Well, for starters, our storytime routine will change slightly.  Along with sharing books, songs, puppets, rhymes, and act-outs, I will be incorporating a short time for creative play toward the end of each session.  These play times will further encourage and reinforce the 5 essential elements of the Every Child Ready to Read Program, (which means lots of talking, singing, reading, writing and playing!)

Also, along with seasonal themes such as Thanksgiving, Spring, Valentine's Day, etc., I will be setting aside the first storytime of each month for sharing new books that have recently been added to the library's collection.  I look forward to showcasing some great new books - especially those that may not fit nicely into a theme.

Finally, throughout the school year I will be including quite a few storytimes whose theme has to do with the zoo.  This came about after I made a trip to the Henry Doorly Zoo with our library mascot, Buzz!  Here is a photo I took of Buzz as we arrived at the Zoo:


He was sooo excited to be at the Zoo!  We took lots of pictures as we walked around the zoo (and sometimes we rode in a golf cart with our zoo worker friend, Andrea!)


So, be watching for more pictures of Buzz in coming weeks, as I highlight storytime themes such as "Bears", "Zoo Workers", "Sea Creatures", "Butterflies" and more!


I hope to see you soon at the library!
                                   ~Mrs. B. and ...
                                                                               Wesley the Turtle

No comments:

Post a Comment