Friday, July 3, 2015

Baby & Me Storytime ~ June 24 & 25, 2015

This Baby & Me Storytime was presented at Bellevue Public Library on June 24 & 25, 2015.

Book:
Where is Baby's Yummy Tummy? by Karen Katz











Songs:


Hello, Friends!
(tune: "Goodnight Ladies")

Hello friends.
Hello friends.
Hello friends.
We're glad you came today!


I Can Make My Hands Go Clap
(tune: “Muffin Man”)

I can make my hands go clap,
Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.
I can make my hands go clap.
They're a part of me!

Additional verses: 
I can make my:
...feet go tap...
...eyes go blink...
...arms go hug...
...hands go wave...
...lips go kiss...

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,

How I wonder what you are.

Whenever you sing this song (or any other classic children's song!) to your child, remember that he or she is just starting to learn and enjoy it!  Give your child the added dimension of a tactile experience as you sing or play music.  You might enjoy rocking your child in rhythm with the song, patting your hand on Baby's back or chest, helping your child to do "bicycle legs" in the air as you sing, let your child experience "up and down" or "side to side" movement while he/she listens to the music, etc.


Rhymes:


I Saw a Snake Go By One Day
(© Lois Simmie)  

I saw a snake go by one day (make snake motion with arm)
Riding in his Chevrolet (hands on steering wheel)
He was long (extend arms to show "long")
And he was thin (arms show "thin")
And he didn't have a chin. (point to chin)

He had no chin,
But what the heck (shrug)
He had lots and lots and lots of neck! (touch or tickle baby's neck)

Our activity this week was Hand Puppets!













Each Baby & Me Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

No comments:

Post a Comment