Sunday, September 21, 2014

Baby & Me Storytime ~ September 16 & 18, 2014

This Baby & Me Storytime was presented at Bellevue Public Library on September 16 & 18, 2014.

Book:

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr., illustrated by Eric Carle




Songs:

Hello, Friends!
(tune: "Goodnight Ladies")

Hello friends.
Hello friends.
Hello friends.
We're glad you came today!



Clap Your Hands
(tune: “This Old Man”)

Clap your hands, one, two, three.

Play a clapping game with me.

Now your hands have gone away.
(help your little one hide hands behind his back, under his shirt or bib, etc.)

Bring them back so we can play!

(last time: “We’ll play this game another day!”)

(Help your child clap hands - or clap your own hands where baby can see them - on the underlined words or syllables.)




This Is The Way We Take a Bath

This is the way we take a bath, 
take a bath, take a bath.
This is the way we take a bath 
so early in the morning”.

Additional verses:
rub our legs, pat our heads, give a hug, blow a kiss, take a nap, peek-a-boo, shake our bells, read a book, splash around, tickle you, wave goodbye, etc.


Skinnamarink

Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-dink
Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-doo
I love you!
Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-dink
Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-doo
I love you!

I love you in the morning
And in the afternoon.
I love you in the evening
And underneath the moon, oh,

Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-dink
Skinnamarink-a-dink-a-doo
I love you!

Here is a Youtube video of this song! 
I love ending Baby & Me Storytime with this song!  It is such a simple, beautiful way to bond with your child and remind your child how much he/she is loved.


Rhymes:

Bounce, Tickle and Kiss!

I bounce you here, (rest) (rest)
I bounce you there, (rest) (rest)
I bounce you, bounce you everywhere!

I tickle you here, (rest) (rest)
I tickle you there,(rest) (rest) 
I tickle you, tickle you everywhere!

I kiss you here, (rest) (rest) 
I kiss you there, (rest) (rest)
I kiss you, kiss you everywhere!



Cuckoo Clock

Ticktockticktock,
I'mli...ttle cu-ckoo clock
Ticktockticktock,
Now I'm stri-king one o-clock.
Cu-ckoo!


(This rhyme can be said quite slowly, which makes for a gentle rocking motion.  When we slow down our speech we lengthen some of the words, which helps your child hear syllables as well as the cadence of our language.  When speaking, put the emphasis on the underlined words or parts of words.  Cradle baby in your arms or hold him up with your hands under his underarms.    Gently rock child from side to side in rhythm with your words.  When you say "CUCKOO", gently lift your child into the air.  For older children: have child stand and gently rock from side to side in rhythm with the chant.   Invite your child to raise hands above his/her head and/or jump one time for each "CUCKOO" they hear.  Continue this chant, changing the verse to "two o'clock...CUCKOO!  CUCKOO!, three o'clock...CUCKOO!  CUCKOO!  CUCKOO!, etc.)


Our activity this week was Scarves!

















Each Baby & Me Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

No comments:

Post a Comment