Thursday, November 8, 2012

Toddler Storytime - Cats!

Presented at the Bellevue Public Library on Thursday, November 8, 2012.

Books:

Cat Dreams by Ursula Le Guin, illustrated by S. D. Schindler




Where is Tippy Toes? by Betsy Lewis





I Don't Want a Cool Cat by Emma Dodd




Songs:

I've Got a Cat on My Head
(tune: "Skip to My Lou")

I've got a cat on my head,
I've got a cat on my head,
I've got a cat on my head,
Meow, meow, meow, meow, meow.

Children and parents can suggest other body parts to sing about in this song!  In Storytime I used a stuffed plush cat, giving it to the first child to put on his/her head as we sang the first verse.  The child then passed the cat to another child, who decided what our next verse would be (e.g. I've got a cat on my elbow, leg, ear, tummy, knee, etc.)


Storytime Has Ended
(tune: "Did You Ever See a Lassie?")

Storytime has ended, has ended, has ended.
Storytime has ended 'til we meet again.

(Children wave to each other as we continue)
'Til we meet, 'til we meet, 'til we meet, 'til we meet.
Storytime has ended 'til we meet again.





Activities:

Our Hands Say Hello!

Our hands say hello with a clap, clap, clap.
Our feet say hello with a tap, tap, tap.
Clap, clap, clap,
Tap, tap, tap.
Turn around and take a bow.
Sit right down. It's Storytime now!




I Have a Little Kitten

I have a little kitten
With soft and shiny fur.
And when I pet my kitten,
She goes purr, purr, purr.

(Pretend you are holding and petting a kitten in the crook of your arm as you say this rhyme.  Can you trill your tongue when it comes time to "purr, purr, purr"?)

Next week's theme:.......Down on the Farm!


No comments:

Post a Comment