Thursday, March 19, 2015

Toddler Storytime ~ Spring is Here!

This Toddler Storytime was presented at Bellevue Public Library on March 18, 2015.

Books:
My Spring Robin by Anne Rockwell, illustrated by Harlow Rockwell and Lizzy Rockwell






Everything Spring! by Jill Esbaum, photographs by National Geographic Kids






Songs:

(scroll to the end of this post to find out why we didn't sing Wesley's special song this week!)
Everybody Say Hello!
(tune: "London Bridge")

Everybody say hello, say hello, say hello,
Everybody say hello, hello Wesley!

(Wesley is my turtle puppet who pops out of my apron pocket whenever we sing this song.  Then he sits quietly on his rock and listens to the stories and sings along with us.  At the end of storytime he says goodbye to the children, gives them high fives, eats pretend food from their hands, blows kisses, and plays hide and seek!)





I Wish I Was a Rabbit
(tune: "The More We Get Together")

I wish I was a rabbit, a rabbit, a rabbit.
I wish I was a rabbit, 'cause rabbits can hop.
They hop, and hop, and hop, and hop.
I wish I was a rabbit, 'cause rabbits can hop.


I wish I was a rabbit, a rabbit, a rabbit,
I wish I was a rabbit 'cause rabbits can munch.
They munch, and munch, and munch, and munch.
I wish I was a rabbit 'cause rabbits can munch.

I wish I was a rabbit, a rabbit, a rabbit.
I wish I was a rabbit that wiggles its nose.
It wiggles and wiggles and wiggles and wiggles.
I wish I was a rabbit that wiggles its nose.


Rhymes: 

Here is the Beehive


Here is the beehive,

But where are the bees?
Hidden inside where nobody sees!

Watch, and you'll see them
come out of the hive.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5!  Bzzzzzzzzzzzz!











Open, Shut Them!

Open, shut them,
Open, shut them,
Give a little clap, clap, clap!

Open, shut them,
Open, shut them,
Lay them in your lap, lap, lap!

Waving, waving, waving, waving,
High up in the sky, sky, sky.
Wave to me...I'll wave to you.
Now let's all say goodbye, bye, bye.

We always say this rhyme at least twice, increasing the speed with each repetition!


Playtime Activities:



What's in the Green Box?
(tune: "Sally Wore a Red Dress")

What's in the green box,

The green box, the green box?
What's in the green box
For us to play?

Instead of our usual green box, one of our Storytime parents, James, brought in his OWN green box...filled with these beautiful violas!  There were enough pots for each family to take one home.  What a wonderful way to celebrate the return of Spring!  Thank you, James!


The reason for Wesley's absence today???  Well, I had a little accident with my morning beverage, which tipped and spilled...all...over...Wesley. Don't worry, my drink was no longer hot!  So, while I was in Storytime I sent Wesley home to take a bath!









In Wesley's absence we welcomed this interesting-looking creature - a terrific reminder of the coming of SPRING!:











Each Toddler Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

Every Child Ready to Read® @ your library®, PLA and ALSC logos are registered trademarks of the American Library Association and are used with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment