Thursday, October 12, 2017

Pajama Storytime: 10/10/17

This Pajama Storytime was presented at Bellevue Public Library on October 10, 2017.

Books:

Beep!  Beep!  Go to Sleep! by Todd Tarpley, illustrated by John Rocco




Playtime? by Jeff Mack 

(I enlisted the children's and dads' help with this story!  Everyone picked out a couple colorful scarves which were used to denote "playtime" (waving the scarves in the air) and "bedtime" (cuddling the scarves as with a blanket).  The book focuses on these two activities as the boy tries, with difficulty, to enforce "bedtime" while the gorilla is more interested in "playtime"!)




Nighty Night, Little Green Monster by Ed Emberley 




Daytime Nightime by William Low 





Tell Me the Day Backwards by Albert Lamb, illustrated by David McPhail

(I love this story for its focus on remembering the past... which, for very young children, means the very recent past!  It can be a fun exercise to help your child understand concepts such as "earlier", "before" and "after" by spending time talking about what has already happened and in what order they occurred.  For many children, a good place to start might be helping them differentiate between what happened before lunch and after lunch. Younger children might tackle 1-3 events (e.g. "Before lunch I got out of bed and I had breakfast!") Older children may remember more detail such as, "I watched the garbage truck go down our street, then we went to the store, then I helped make sandwiches!")







Songs:

You Are My Sunshine

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away!






Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are. 








Each Pajama Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

No comments:

Post a Comment