Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Getting to know...David Catrow!

I had the opportunity to visit Thomas Elementary School in Gretna on October 24 and see one of my favorite illustrators, David Catrow!  The first thing I learned is that I have been mispronouncing his name.  (It's pronounced KA-tro.)

You are probably familiar with David Catrow's work - he is very prolific!  The Bellevue Public Library has 45 titles that have been written or illustrated by him!

Here are some of my favorites:

Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel, illustrated by David Catrow




I Ain't Gonna Paint No More by Karen Beaumont, illustrated by David Catrow



The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln by Mike Reiss, illustrated by David Catrow


Don't Say That Word by Alan Katz, illustrated by David Catrow



My School's a Zoo! by Stu Smith, illustrated by David Catrow




Where's My T-R-U-C-K? by Karen Beaumont, illustrated by David Catrow




I Wanna New Room by Karen Kaufman Orloff, illustrated by David Catrow




Monster Mash illustrated by David Catrow




Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell, illustrated by David Catrow
(This is David's most recent book, published this fall!)





Here is David at Thomas Elementary drawing two characters for the students.








Here David is showing the students how he might draw a dog. He started his drawing by writing the word D-O-G.  Can you see those letters in his drawing?!




Drawing a dog, using the letters D-O-G, is one thing... but do you think he can draw a
D-R-A-G-O-N??

Let's see how he's doing on that dragon...


(Could you still see all the letters and how he incorporated them into his drawing?!)


I really enjoyed seeing the artist "at work" and getting a little sense of what he's thinking about as he creates his art.  I hope you will check out some of David Catrow's books from the library and share them with those you love!
I'd love to hear from YOU!  What is YOUR favorite David Catrow book?!

Keep reading!
  ~ Mrs. B.















No comments:

Post a Comment