Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dinosaurs!

Presented to Miss Jenny's and Miss Amy's Head Start classes at Golden Hills Elementary School on Monday, February 24, 2014.

Books:
Dinosaur Stomp! by Paul Stickland  





Encyclopedia Prehistorica Dinosaurs by Robert Sabuda and Matthew Reinhart


This is a terrific book, although the text is meant for much older children.  So, I didn't read any of the book to the students...but I did show them these amazing pop-ups!  The dinosaur pictured below seemed to jump right out of the book when I opened it in front of the class!



How Do Dinosaurs Go To School? by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Mark Teague

Song:

The Dino Pokey
(tune: "The Hokey Pokey")

You put your claws in,
You put your claws out. 
You put your claws in,
And you shake them all about.

You do the Dino Pokey and
You turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

Additional verses:
You put your feet it...and you stomp them all about...
You put your teeth in...and you chomp them all about...
You put your tail in...and you swish it all about...


Activity:
Dinosaur, Dinosaur, Turn Around

(a dinosaur chant!)

Dinosaur, Dinosaur, turn around,
Dinosaur, Dinosaur, stomp the ground.

Dinosaur, Dinosaur, show your claws,
Dinosaur, Dinosaur, snap your jaws.

Dinosaur, Dinosaur, turn around,
Dinosaur, Dinosaur, sit right down!


Open, Shut Them
(a goodbye rhyme!)

Open, shut them, open, shut them,
Give a little clap, clap, clap.

Open, shut them, open, shut them,
Lay them in your lap, lap, lap.

Waving, waving, waving, waving,
High up in the sky, sky, sky.

Wave to me, I'll wave to you,
Now let's all say good bye, bye, bye!

Try saying this several times through, each time getting a little faster!


My unusual visit to Golden Hills Head Start Classes:
Today was a very unusual day for me.  The reason?  My puppet friend, Wesley, did not come with me today to visit the children. Wesley woke up with a bad cough and a tummy ache, so he had to stay home and rest.  Because of this the class and I had a short discussion about the importance of not coughing or sneezing on others, taking lots of breaks to wash our hands, and not being around other children when we are sick.  Wesley was very disappointed that he couldn't come with me today, but he got a lot of rest while I was gone.  He should be feeling better very soon!

The students have a tradition of pulling (imaginary) snack foods out of their (real or imaginary!) pockets and giving them to Wesley before he and I return to the library. Since Wesley was not with me today, the children entrusted their snacks to me to give to Wesley as soon as he felt better.  I came back to the library with my book basket full of strawberries, peanut butter, bananas, ice cream, pizza, candy, apples, cake, chicken legs, an egg, bubble gum, cookies, grapes, and several kinds of medicine to help him feel better!  Wesley is in good hands with such loving friends!

Friday, February 28:
I'm happy to report that Wesley is feeling much better and has been getting plenty of rest!  Wesley wanted to thank everyone for the yummy snacks, so here is a video message from him!



Library News: Don't forget our 11th annual Seussathon which is next Monday, March 3 from 9AM to 9 PM!  We hope you will come and be part of the fun!  See my post for pictures from the past 9 years of Seussathon!

My next visit to Golden Hills' Head Start classes will be on Monday, March 31, 2014! 


Each outreach storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).


No comments:

Post a Comment