Thursday, March 13, 2014

Baby & Me Storytime

This storytime was presented at Bellevue Public Library on Tuesday, March 11 and Thursday, March 13, 2014.

Book:
Baby Touch and Feel: Wild Animals






Songs:

You Are My Sunshine

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine,
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away!



I Can Make My Baby Smile 
(tune: Muffin Man”)

I can make my baby smile,
My baby smile, my baby smile.
I can make my baby smile

When I tickle your toes!

Additional verses:
...when I tickle your...nose, neck, tummy, etc.




Activities:


As I Went Walking to Town One Day
(Underlined words and syllables represent the 
stressed beats in this rhyme.)

As I went walking to town one day,
Oh, it was a sunshiny day!
As I went walking to town one day,
met a cow along the way!
And what do you think that cow did say?
Mooooo!

What other animals could you meet along the way? 
What sounds do they make?


Icka Backa Soda Cracker

Icka backa soda cracker, Icka backa boo.
Icka backa soda cracker. Up goes you!

Icka backa soda cracker, Icka backa boo.
Icka backa soda cracker. I love you!

(bounce baby side to side, then lift up on “up goes you” and hug or kiss on “I love you”)




Our activity this week was Scarves!
I enjoyed watching as adults and little ones found creative ways to play with our brightly-colored scarves.  
Every Child Ready to Read® recommends creative play because it provides opportunities for adults to use descriptive language with their little ones. During our play time on Tuesday and Thursday I heard many comments and conversations such as:
"Can you give me the pink one?"
"You have two scarves. Which one is green?  I have a purple one."
"Where did you go?!  Peek-a-boo!"
"Let's share some of our scarves with (child's name)."













  

Library News:
During the past couple of weeks we have welcomed these new friends: Amelia, Oakley, Ethan, Kamalani, Diann and Hyo Ju.  We are so glad you joined us and we hope to see you again very soon!

Our next Baby and Me Storytime will be March 18 & 20, 2014!







Each Baby & Me Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

No comments:

Post a Comment