Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Baby & Me Storytime

Presented at Bellevue Public Library on Tuesday and Wednesday, February 12 & 13, 2013.

Book:

Hug, hug, hug! by Emily Jenkins and Tomek Bogacki




Songs:

(We used this song at Tuesday's Storytime)
Hello, Friends!
(tune: "Goodnight Ladies")

Hello friends.

Hello friends.
Hello friends.
We're glad you came today!

(After singing the song I invite an adult to introduce him/herself and their child. We repeat the song, substituting the child's name for the word "friends". We do this until everyone has been introduced and all the children have been serenaded!)



(We used this song at Wednesday's Storytime)
Welcome to Storytime!
(tune: Old McDonald)

At storytime we have (child's name) today.
We're so glad, let's shout hooray!


You Are My Sunshine
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away!

I Can Make My Baby Smile
(tune: "Muffin Man'")

I can make my baby smile,
My baby smile, my baby smile.
I can make my baby smile
When I tickle your toes!

You can also substitute "laugh" for "smile"!
Additional verses:

When I tickle your...nose, tummy, feet, chin, etc.



Activities:

I Have a Little Heart

I have a little heart and it goes thump, thump, thump.
It keeps right on beating when I jump, jump, jump.
I get a special feeling when I look at you!
It makes me want to give you a kiss or two!

Pudding on the Plate

(sway gently from side to side with your child)
Pudding on the plate, pudding on the plate,

Wibble, wobble, wibble, wobble,
Pudding on the plate.

(shake* or bounce gently with your child)
Candies in the jar, candies in the jar,
Shake them up, shake them up,
Candies in the jar.

Candles on the cake, candles on the cake,
Blow them out, blow them out,
Candles on the cake.
(gently blow in your child's face!)

*  Always remember that any playtime activity that involves shaking should be done very gently.  One way to let your child experience the feeling of shaking is to gently bounce him on your lap.


Our Hands Say Goodbye

Our hands say goodbye with a clap, clap, clap.
Our feet say goodbye with a tap, tap, tap.
Clap, clap, clap,
Tap, tap, tap.
We roll our hands around and say... "Let's do it again!"

Our hands say goodbye with a clap, clap, clap.
Our feet say goodbye with a tap, tap, tap.
Clap, clap, clap,
Tap, tap, tap.
We roll our hands around and say... "Goodbye!"


Our ExploreTime Activity this week was board books!
Every Child Ready to Read® recommends giving your child lots of opportunities to hear stories being read to them.  Babies of all ages can enjoy board books.  From their thick pages to their bright colors to their familiar subjects, board books are a wonderful way for babies to explore their world.  I spoke with parents and caregivers today about the benefits of helping their children make connections between what they see in a book and what they see or experience in real life.  Use a book that includes a picture of a dog to talk about the dog you have in your family. A picture of an apple can lead to helping your child hold and taste an apple or applesauce, while you talk about the apple's color, shape, size, texture, etc.

This week we welcomed new friends Cole and his big sister Grace!  We hope you had fun today and will visit often!

Our next Baby and Me Storytime will be Tuesday and Wednesday, February 19 & 20, 2013!

Library News:
We are gearing up for our annual celebration of Dr. Seuss, which will be held February 25 - March 2.  There will be daily activities at the DIY Table in the Children's Area.  Our big event is our 10th annual Seussathon, an 8-hour reading marathon, held on Saturday, March 2 from 9 AM - 5 PM.  People of all ages are invited to stop by the library anything that day and enjoy a comfy atmosphere of our special reading room, lots of Dr. Seuss books to read, freebies, door prizes, and great food donated by local businesses! 

Check out my "Seussathon: Nine Years and counting!" entry for photos from Seussathons 2004-2012!

** As an added bonus, anyone who "likes" us on Facebook can take part in daily activities on Feb. 25 - Mar. 1.  Make a comment or answer the daily question and you will receive an additional drawing slip for the Seussathon door prize drawing!

Each Baby & Me Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

No comments:

Post a Comment