Thursday, February 28, 2013

Golden Hills EHS

Presented to children at Golden Hills' Early Head Start classroom on Thursday, February 28, 2013.

Book:
Splash! by Roberta Grobel Intrater




Songs:

Come Along and Sing With Me
(tune: "Mary Had a Little Lamb")

Come along and sing with me,
Sing with me, sing with me.
Come along and sing with me
On a sunny Thursday!

Come along and clap with me...
Come along and roll with me...
Come along and stretch with me...
Come along and sway with me...


The Shape-Up Song
(tune: "The Farmer in the Dell")

We're jumping up and down.
We're jumping up and down.
We're getting lots of exercise.
We're jumping up and down.

Let's bend and touch our toes...
Let's reach and touch the sky...
Let's kick our legs up high...

 

Activities:

Dance Your Fingers Up

Dance your fingers up,
Dance your fingers down.
Dance your fingers to the side,
And dance them all around.

Dance them on your shoulders,
Dance them on your head.
Dance them on your tummy,
And put them all to bed.



I Saw a Snake Go By One Day
(© Lois Simmie) 

I saw a snake go by one day (make snake motion with arm)
Riding in his Chevrolet (hands on steering wheel)
He was long (extend arms to show "long")
And he was thin (arms show "thin")
And he didn't have a chin. (point to chin)

He had no chin,
But what the heck (shrug)
He had lots and lots and lots of neck! (Touch or tickle baby's neck)



Each Baby & Me Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

I brought Musical Instruments with me on my visit to EHS today!
Every Child Ready to Read® recommends giving your child a wide variety of music experiences.  His first taste of music comes when you sing to your child (who LOVES your voice, by the way - not because it is professionally trained or because you could be the next American Idol - but because it is YOUR voice!)  Later on your child will begin making his own cooing sounds when you sing or play live or recorded music for him.  Eventually he will discover the joys of making his own music, such as beating on a cookie sheet with a wooden spoon, shaking a rattle, "playing" the family's piano or a toy xylophone, etc. The library has many music CDs covering a wide variety of music styles and artists.  Let me know if you'd like some help picking out some music to take home on your next visit!




Library News:  Seussathon 2013 will be held on Saturday, March 2 from 9 AM - 5 PM.  Never heard of Seussathon?  Not sure what it's all about?  See my Seussathon: 9 Years and Counting post here.


My next visit to Golden Hills Early Head Start room will be on Thursday, March 21, 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment