Thursday, October 11, 2012

Baby & Me Storytime

Presented at Bellevue West High School Early Head Start on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Book.:

Will You Wear a Blue Hat?  a Rookie Toddler Book by Scholastic




Songs:

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle little star how I wonder what you are!



Eensy Weensy Spider

The eensy weensy spider went up the waterspout.
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain
And the eensy weensy spider went up the spout again.



Hello, Friends!
(tune: Goodnight Ladies)

Hello, friends.  Hello, friends.  Hello, friends,
We're glad you came today!

Repeat the verse, inserting a child's name in place of the word "friends".
Repeat until everyone has had a chance to be greeted!


Ten Little Tootsies
(tune: "One Little, Two Little, Three Little")

One little, two little, three little tootsies,
Four little, five little, six little tootsies.
Seven little, eight little, nine little tootsies,
Ten little tootsie toes!

Ten little, nine little, eight little tootsies,
Seven little, six little, five little tootsies.
Four little, three little, two little tootsies,
One little tootsie toe!


Activities:

A Flea on My Toe

On my toe there is a flea.
Now it's climbing past my knee,
Past my tummy,
Past my nose,
On my head where my hair grows.

On my head there is a flea.
Now it's climbing down on me,
Past my tummy,
Past my knee,
On my toe,
Take that, you flea!



Dance Your Fingers Up

Dance your fingers up,
Dance your fingers down.
Dance your fingers to the side and dance them all around.

Dance them on your shoulders,
Dance them on your head.
Dance them on your tummy and put them all to bed.



Our Hands Say Goodbye

Our hands say goodbye with a clap, clap, clap.
Our feet say goodbye with a tap, tap, tap.
Clap, clap, clap,
Tap, tap, tap.
We roll our hands around and say... "Let's do it again!"

Our hands say goodbye with a clap, clap, clap.
Our feet say goodbye with a tap, tap, tap.
Clap, clap, clap,
Tap, tap, tap.
We roll our hands around and say... "Goodbye!"

Today I introduced the practice of "story walking" with the parents and babies.  Today I used "Will You Wear a BLUE Hat? by Scholastic as our example.  The Every Child Ready to Read curriculum encourages story walking as a way to experience a book before actually reading it with your child.  Story walking involves such things as pointing out the title, author and illustrator of a book, looking at the pictures and talking about what is happening,  introducing new words, and expanding language by using descriptive words.  This monologue will become a dialogue as your child's verbal skills develop.  As I turned the pages, I pointed out some (but not all) of the pictures, making observations such as, "The little boy has three hats.  What color do you think he'll pick?  Will he pick the one with tassels?",  "He needs some mittens.  Where mittens go on his ears?",  "He needs a scarf for his neck.  Where is YOUR neck?" 
At this stage our babies are listening, and before long they will start joining in the conversation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment