Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Community Helpers

Presented to Mrs. Goosen's and Ms. Songster's Kindergarten classes at Cornerstone Christian School on Monday, October 15, 2012.


Wesley the Turtle and I - and my puppet friend the Firefighter -
enjoyed seeing all the eager students at Cornerstone this week!  They have been learning about Community Helpers, so I was asked to visit - to represent the librarians of the world!

The students asked about a book-making project that I brought with me last year.  We wouldn't have had time for it this year, but here is information on how to make your own book!  This terrific blog  shows one way to make it, using a crayon for the book spine.  I have also made them using a drinking straw.  You could even try using a stick or a pencil!

http://drjeanandfriends.blogspot.com/2012/09/heres-crayon-for-you.html

Thanks to the students and teachers at CCS for giving me an opportunity to do what I love best: share with others my love of books and reading!

Books:
Five Trucks by Brian Floca

(Five trucks are needed for one special job.  Can you use the clues to figure out what job they perform?)





Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha

("Dump it in, smash it down, drive around the trashy town!")




Career Day by Anne Rockwell

(Each child in Mrs. Madoff's class brings a visitor who tells the group about his or her job.)



Song:

Hurry, Hurry, Drive the Fire Truck!
(tune: "One Little, Two Little, Three Little")

Hurry, hurry, drive the fire truck!
Hurry, hurry, drive the fire truck!
Hurry, hurry, drive the fire truck!
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Additional verses:

Hurry, hurry, turn the corner!...

Hurry, hurry, climb the ladder...

Hurry, hurry, squirt the water...

Final Verse:
Slowly, slowly, back to the station,
Slowly, slowly, back to the station,
Slowly, slowly, back to the station,
Now our work is done!

Activities:

Career Riddles (answers below!):

1. When your car has a flat, I can fix it just like that!  Who am I?

2. When you're outside, using your feet, I will help you cross the street.  Who am I?

3. When your house is more drab than the others, I'll make it like new!  You choose the color!  Who am I?

4. At your church you might see me some day, I lead the service, I sing and I pray.  Who am I?

5. Fire!  Fire! 9-1-1.  I fight the blaze until it's done.  Who am I?

6. I get up early just to bake your cookies, rolls, bread and cake.  Who am I?

7. Stitches and itches, slips and falls, colds and flu, I fix them all.  Who am I?

8. I'm there for you both night and day, so you are safe at home and away.  Who am I?


Answers:
1) mechanic  2) crossing guard  3) painter  4) minister  5) firefighter  6) baker  7) doctor  8) police officer

No comments:

Post a Comment