Monday, October 21, 2013

Community Helpers

Presented to Mrs. Goosen's and Mrs. Williams' Kindergarten classes at Cornerstone Christian School on Monday, October 21, 2013.


Firefighter Fred and I really enjoyed visiting the Kindergarten students at Cornerstone this week!  They have been learning about Community Helpers, so I was invited to visit - to represent the librarians of the world!




Two of the jobs highlighted in Anne Rockwell's book, Career Day, are those of author and illustrator!  I wouldn't have the greatest job in the world, working as a librarian at the Bellevue Public Library, if we didn't have authors and illustrators!!  *See the end of this blog for photos of some authors and illustrators I have met!
 
I brought along supplies for the students to make their own book or journal, using wallpaper samples, pencils, and rubber bands.  Here is how they are made:
 
Step #1: Cut the cover to the size of your pencil.  You can use wallpaper samples, construction paper, cereal boxes or other sturdy materials to make the cover.
 
Step #2: Cut blank or ruled paper to the size of your book covers or slightly smaller.
 
Step #3: Fold or cut the cover in half.
 
Step #4: Punch 2 holes along the side that will be the spine of your book.  Punch holes through the covers and the pages.
 
Step #5: Insert a rubber band through the back of one of the holes.
 
Step #6: Put one end of the pencil through the rubber band loop.  The pencil will run along the front of the book.
 
Step #7: Stretch the rubber band along the back of your book and insert the loop through the other hole.
 
Step #8: Put the other end of the pencil through the rubber band.
 
Here is more information on how to make your own book!  This terrific blog  shows one way to make it, using a pencil for the book spine.  I have also made them using a drinking straw.  You could even try using a stick!  Can you make a small book using a popsicle stick?  How about a very small book using a toothpick!?
 
http://drjeanandfriends.blogspot.com/2013/10/pencil-power_4.html
 
 
It was a pleasure to be back at Cornerstone Christian School again!  The students were great listeners... and great participants, too!

Books:
 
Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha

("Dump it in, smash it down, drive around the trashy town!  Is the trash truck full yet?  NO!")




Career Day by Anne Rockwell

(Each child in Mrs. Madoff's class brings a visitor who tells the group about his or her job.)



Song:

Hurry, Hurry, Drive the Fire Truck!
(tune: "One Little, Two Little, Three Little")

Hurry, hurry, drive the fire truck!
Hurry, hurry, drive the fire truck!
Hurry, hurry, drive the fire truck!
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Additional verses:

Hurry, hurry, turn the corner!...

Hurry, hurry, climb the ladder...

Hurry, hurry, squirt the water...

Final Verse:
Slowly, slowly, back to the station,
Slowly, slowly, back to the station,
Slowly, slowly, back to the station,
Now our work is done!


My Work as a Children's Librarian
 
Sometimes children and parents ask me how I decided to be a children's librarian.   I have always been a voracious reader.  When I was growing up I visited the library at least once a week.  Here is a photo of the library in my hometown:

 
When I was about 10 years old I received a book that many of you might recognize: Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry. 
 
 
 
Tucked inside the book was this photo of Misty!  And on the back Marguerite Henry had written a personal note to me.

This was the book that really helped me understand that books are written and illustrated by real people!
 
Even with these wonderful books inspiring me to read and explore, it was only about 20 years ago that I started to think about working in a library.  It all started when I began to volunteer in the library at my daughters' elementary school. 

Since working at the Bellevue Public Library I have had the privilege of meeting many children's authors, including:
 
Margaret Peterson Haddix:

 


Barbara Robinson:






 Ben Mikaelsen:




Judy Schachner:




Jon Scieszka:
 




and Mac Barnett:



 
For more "close encounters" I have had with authors and illustrators, click on "Authors" - found in the right column under "Labels".

   ~ Mrs. B.

No comments:

Post a Comment