Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Reading at the Ranch!

Reading at the Ranch was held at the Bellevue Berry Farm for students and families of Wake Robin Elementary School on Wednesday, October 9, 2013.

I was invited to read a story as children, parents and teachers gathered around the campfire.  I read Skeleton for Dinner by Margery Cuyler.

 
The children provided the sound effects for this story.  Everyone was given the choice of playing:


Rhythm Sticks

~ or ~
 
 
 
Maracas
 
~ or ~
 
 
a Gravity Tube
 
 

We used the sounds of these instruments to represent three creatures in the story:  ghosts, skeletons and ghouls.  Which instrument would you use to represent each creature?

 


As I read the story, children listened carefully for mention of "their" creature, then used their instrument to make a brief sound.

 Here's how I decided to represent the three guests who were invited to have witch's stew:
* children who played the gravity tube were the ghosts 
* those who played rhythm sticks were the skeletons, and 
* those who chose to play maracas were the ghouls

After we finished with my story, Mrs. Bethel read Honestly, Red Riding Hood Was Rotten!: The Story of Little Red Riding Hood as Told by the Wolf (The Other Side of the Story) written by Trisha Speed Shaskan, illustrated by Gerald Claude Guerlais





Mrs. Bethel's dog, Carmen, starred as Little Red Riding Hood!
 
 
Next, Dr. Kingsley read Vunce Upon a Time by J. Otto Seibold, illustrated by Siobhan Vivian
 
 


 


Finally, Mrs. Bethel and Dr. Kingsley read You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Scary Tales to Read Together by Mary Ann Hoberman, illustrated by Michael Emberley


 
 
My dog Henry and I had a great time at the Ranch!  Thanks, Wake Robin School, for inviting me back.  It just wouldn't be fall without Reading at the Ranch with my Wizard friends!
 
 
 
I hope to see you soon!
   ~ Mrs. B.


No comments:

Post a Comment