Thursday, March 28, 2013

Golden Hills Early Head Start

Presented to children at Golden Hills' Early Head Start classroom on March 28, 2013.

Book:
Jesse Bear's Tum-Tum Tickle, by Nancy White Carlstrom, illustrated by Bruce Degen



Songs:

Hello, Friends!
(tune: "Goodnight Ladies")

Hello friends.
Hello friends.
Hello friends.
We're glad you came today!

(After singing the song once we repeat it, substituting a child's name for the word "friends". We do this until everyone has been introduced and all the children have been serenaded!)



Clap Your Hands, One, Two, Three(tune: "This Old Man")

Clap your hands, one, two, three,
Play a clapping game with me.
Now your hands have gone away.
* Find your hands so we can play!

* Last time: We'll play this game another day!


You Are My Sunshine

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine,
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.



Activities:


Hello, Friends!
(clap in rhythm as you share this chant with your child!)

Hello, friends, hello friends,
And how are you today?
I trust you had a nice long nap,
And now you're ready to play!

Using this chant, and substituting your child's name for the word "friends", can be a wonderful way to greet your child after his nap!
 



Rub-a-Dub-Dub, One Child In a Tub

Rub-a-dub-dub, one child in a tub,
(rub knuckles gently up and down child's chest)
Tell me what you see.
One foot with toes,
(point to parts of child's body)
A hand, a nose,
As clean as they can be!
(rub hands together)

Rub -a-dub-dub, one child in a tub,
(rub knuckles gently up and down child's chest)
Tell me what you see.
Two ears, a cheek,
(point to parts of child's body)
So clean they squeak,
(gently rub child's cheeks)
A chin, a tummy, a knee.
(point to parts of child's body)

Rub -a-dub-dub, one child in a tub,
(rub knuckles gently up and down child's chest)
Tell me what you see.
Legs and arms,
So clean and warm.
Do they have a hug for me?

                                                  


I enjoyed seeing all my friends at Golden Hills today!  I brought along my friend, Bridget Mueting, who is studying to be a librarian!!  She helped with some of today's activities!  My next visit to Golden Hills Early Head Start will be on Thursday, April 25, 2013!







Each Outreach Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).
Every Child Ready to Read® @ your library®, PLA and ALSC logos are registered trademarks of the American Library Association and are used with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment