Saturday, November 23, 2013

Giving Thanks

This storytime was presented at Welcome School on Friday, November 22, 2013.


Books:

Thanks for Thanksgiving by Julie Markes, illustrated by Doris Barrette

 


Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson, illustrated by Jane Chapman

 

Song:

I Am Thankful
(Tune: "London bridge")

For my friends and family,
Family, family.
For my friends and family,
I am thankful!

For our teachers here at school,
Here at school, here at school.
For our teachers here at school,
I am thankful!

I encouraged the children and teachers to use this simple tune to create their own thanksgiving songs.  The possibilities are endless!

How about:
For the pets we love so much...
For my grandpas and grandmas...
For our house that's nice and warm...
For my friends who like to play...


Before I returned to the Bellevue Public Library, the children taught me a wonderful song about being thankful!  It goes like this:

Thank you for the world so sweet.
Thank you for the food we eat.
Thank you for the birds that sing.
Thank you God for everything!


I would like to add my thanks for everyone who makes Welcome School such an outstanding school.  I certainly look forward to my monthly visits and I always leave there feeling more energized, loved, and affirmed than when I walked in. 

I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving!

  ~ Mrs. B.

There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all.
- Jacqueline Kennedy


 
                    


Each Outreach Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

No comments:

Post a Comment