Monday, November 4, 2013

Real and Pretend

Presented at Welcome School on Friday, October 25, 2013.

I enjoy presenting this theme, which fits in well this time of year.  Hopefully the stories and our conversations will help children differentiate between what is real and what is pretend when they see Halloween costumes, characters and decorations.

Books:
Hi Pizza Man! by Virginia Walter, illustrated by Ponder Goembel






Pick a Pet by Shelly Rottner and Cheo Garcia




For a fun demonstration about the difference between real and pretend, I brought along my "magic banana" trick!  To watch a video of me presenting my banana trick to children at the library, and a link to learn how I did the trick, click here!

 As is my custom when visiting Welcome School, I asked the children if they had a song to teach me.  This way I can learn new songs to take back to the library with me!  They taught me a very cute song that can be sung to the tune of "Up On the Housetop".  Here are the words:

Sneeze in your elbow please, please, please,
So you don't get germs on me.
Sneeze in your elbow quick, quick, quick,
So nobody else gets sick, sick, sick!

That is an awesome song and an important thing to remember!  The students were such great teachers!

I look forward to visiting Welcome School again in late November!

  ~ Mrs. B.

 
                    





Each Outreach Storytime includes activities that support one or more of the five early literacy practices identified as essential in helping your child develop the skills they need before they can learn to read. The five practices – singing, talking, reading, playing and writing –were developed for Every Child Ready to Read®, an initiative of the Association for Library Services for Children (ALSC) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

No comments:

Post a Comment